Table of Contents Table of Contents
Previous Page  4 / 89 Next Page
Information
Show Menu
Previous Page 4 / 89 Next Page
Page Background

7

6

7

History

History

T

homastik-Infeld looks back at a long

history full of change. Even before the

beginning of the First World War,

Dr. Franz Thomastik – luthier and Doctor of

Philosophy – tested various raw materials for

their potential in the developement of cut-

ting edge strings. Starting in 1919 he did his

material research together with Otto Infeld,

an engineer. The cooperation of the company

founders first occurred as a joint effort of two

single enterprises.

In 1921 the foundation of the joint com-

pany “Dr. Franz Thomastik and employees”

followed. Eventually, Dr. Thomastik chose steel

as the material for the development of new

strings. The advantages of this material lay in

the resulting tuning stability, the impervious-

ness to climatic changes, as well as in its

significantly longer lifespan. In 1926 strings of

respectable quality were developed for all string

instruments, from the violin to the contrabass.

At the beginning of the 1930’s 50 % of the pro-

duced strings were exported, with Great Britain

and the United States of America being the

most important markets.

The outbreak of the Second World War

and the destruction of the company through

numerous allied bombardments disrupted the

business. After the end of the war and the

reconstruction, production was resumed in

June 1946. In 1950 production levels reached

those of the prewar period again.

T

he time after 1950 was marked by

growth and constant striving for the

highest quality. This mindset was the

foundation of the upcoming success of

Thomastik-Infeld.

When Dr. Thomastik passed away in

1951, Otto Infeld took over the company. After

his death in 1965 Margaretha Infeld and her

son Peter continued his work and turned

Thomastik-Infeld into the leading supplier of

strings worldwide.

Early Years

|

1919–1950

Post War

|

1950–1979

From the very beginning the red violin

body with the curved initial “T” was

the logo of the company (1). It was

the distinctive sign on the packaging

(2) and all other printed materials, e.g.

the price-list from 1936 (3). The illus-

tration below (4) shows a detail of the

original patent of the flat wire winding from 1914. The

adjacent patent document (5) from 1933 proves the

successful granting of a patent.

The increasing internationalisation

of the company led to a modernisa-

tion of its brand appearance. The

company’s logo with the red violin

body (1) as well as the printed mate-

rials (2) were adapted to the style of

the time. The characteristic packag-

ing of the “Dominant” (3) quickly became the brand

label of Thomastik-Infeld. It was important for several

generations of musicians. These sketches and photos

(4, 5) remind of one of the first international trade-fair

appearances in Frankfurt in 1969.

1

3

2

4, 5

1

3

4

5

2